Rookit hunter is probably one of the most useful applications that you can have installed on your cPanel VPS server. Although rootkits can’t be removed in most cases simply because they are installed into system files, RKHunter will still notify you of any rootkits that may exist in your system so that you can take the necessary steps to reload your cPanel server. Rootkit hunter is both easy to install and configure, and the best thing about it is that you can configure it to do daily scans to ensure that if any rootkits are discovered they aren’t able to affect your server too much. The main steps for installing RKHunter are:
1. wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/rkhunter/rkhunter-1.3.2.tar.gz
2. tar -xzf rkhunter-1.3.2.tar.gz
3. cd rkhunter-1.3.2
Once you have RKHunter installed it may be useful to schedule it to do daily scans and to update itself on a regular basis so that you don’t have to. In order to schedule it to do a daily scan you should follow these steps:
1. vi /etc/cron.daily/rkhunter.sh (press ’shift + I’ to make the file editable)
2. (/usr/local/bin/rkhunter –update && /usr/local/bin/rkhunter -c –cronjob 2>&1 | mail -s “RKhunter Scan Details” email@example.com
) - (replace firstname.lastname@example.org
with your own email address)
3. press ‘esc’ and then type ‘:wq’, and your file will be saved
4. chmod 700 /etc/cron.daily/rkhunter.sh
By following the steps above you are able to configure RKHunter to run a daily scan which will then be emailed to you but the same script will also do a daily update check.
Checkout for best Linux Hosting
. Host multiple Domains in Just $4. Free Domain name registration + WebSite Builder. Get 10% Discount.